John M. Wall
(Pastor of MHBC from 1947 - 1950)
Muldraugh Hill Baptist Church met on August 31, 1947 for the
purpose of calling a pastor. Rev. John M. Wall was nominated
and called with a unanimous vote. The church once again was
extending a yearly call to her pastor.
Shortly after his arrival on the field, a committee was appointed
to make arrangements to start a Training Union Program which
was finalized January 25, 1948 with Paul Payne as director and an
enrollment of 123.
The church increased its outreach by sponsoring a Radio Program each Sunday
morning over W.T.C.O. in Campbellsville, Ky. Porter Benningfield, Howard Farris,
Donald Moore, Robert Farmer, Harold Cox, Chester Payne, Mrs. Mary Parrott,
Bertha Yates, Mrs. Lottie Moore, Dorothy Jean Farris, Pauline Bohannon, Delores
Rice, Betty Yates, Joyce Maupin, Elizabeth Parrott (pianist), Lorene Hardesty, Lester
Farmer, Emogene Brockman, Janet Farmer, James Robert Moore, Mrs. Ada Sapp,
and Mrs. Irene Maupin composed the radio choir. The radio program was
discontinued with the resignation of Bro. Beard.
A much needed improvement of our church building at this time was Sunday School
rooms. We only had curtains to divide the groups and it made it very unsatisfactory
to teach and listen. Prior to this time, pastors had talked of the need for these
facilities, but the church felt unable financially to build. With the leadership of Bro.
Wall, interest was increased and the rooms were completed by September, 1948.
The men of the church honored Bro. Wall with a new car during his ministry here.
April 2, 1950, Bro. John W. Wall announced his resignation as pastor of Muldraugh
Hill Baptist Church to become effective about the first or second Sunday in May.
John M. Wall, son of Joseph Hale Wall and Mary Ellen Miller Wall was born in
Russellville, Tennessee, September 12, 1909. He had one sister (Lacy Ann Wall),
three brothers (Dewey, Walter, and Horace Wall).
He married Fannie Mae Linkous, May 18, 1935. To this union 3 children were born:
Mitzi Kay, Joseph Milburn and John Carson.
Bro. Wall professed faith in Christ at age 13 in Russellville, Tennessee. He was
graduated from Campbellsville College and attended Southern Baptist Seminary in
Louisville, working on a Th.B Degree. He was a manufacturer of furniture.
Rev. John M. Wall was called to preach in 1946 and ordained December 31, 1946 by
Gethsemane Baptist Church, Danville, Ky. His pastorates include Friendship Baptist
Church, Casey County, Muldraugh Hill Baptist Church, Steubenville Baptist Church,
Buffalo Baptist Church (1951-1958), Covington Baptist Church and Dry Ridge Baptist
Church, and Cane Valley Baptist Church, Cane Valley, Ky.
History of Muldraugh Hill Baptist Church